Monday 26 December 2011

December college essay 2


It has been said [by Andy Warhol] that “in the future everyone will be famous for fifteen minutes.” Describe your fifteen minutes. (New York University)

I have never been the shy types. I have always liked being on stage in front of an audience. I think this quality came to me because of my mother. I remember once I participated in a school dance competition just because my Mom wanted me to (I guess I was in grade 1). So, my Mom made up dance steps for me, and it sure was fun learning how to dance with my Mom! And when the big day arrived I must admit I was a little nervous. But once I got on stage, I liked the cheer of the crowd and the eager faces of the judges. And believe it or not, I actually won the competition! And I loved the fifteen minutes of fame I got. I loved every second of those fifteen minutes. I loved the applause the wishes and the look on my mother’s face and just the feeling of being better than others for fifteen minutes. And from then I do not remember refusing anyone to go on stage for anything.
And slowly I developed a love for music. Actually, I think I always had it in me. I learnt to play the guitar, and people said that I sang well. So I auditioned for the school band (I was in Army Public School then). I got chosen as the lead singer of the band called Apotheosis (sounds so dramatic, but really, we were a bunch of chilled out teenagers fallen in love with music). We did a couple of gigs here and there. And the feeling I used to get when I was on stage in front of the microphone with a guitar in my hands was just unexplainable. The screams of the crowd, the hoots, the stage lights, and the music which we made, all had something to add to the feel. Yes, the little tummy turns still do occur right before going on stage, but once I’m there, I don’t look back, and I take in every moment.
So I would want my 15 minutes of fame the same way; on stage, in front of the mic with a guitar in my hands, with my band, Apotheosis, and the crowd screaming their heads off.

2 comments:

  1. I am sure that your childhood was really fun listening to what you did with your mother. It is really interesting that your fifteen minutes is not in the future but it has already happened. I believe that not many people has had theirs yet which makes you an awesome person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to learn you enjoy music and really live those 15 minutes you have on stage. However, I think this could have been better if you just focused on one moment and described it more deeply.

    ReplyDelete