Saturday 17 December 2011

December college essay 1


Write about a time you found something you weren’t looking for. (U of Chicago)



It happens to me quite often. I start looking for something, and I end up finding something completely different, but more amusing than the thing I was looking for. It happens a lot with my Dad. My Mom and Dad are separated and I live with my Mom so I don’t see my Dad so often. But I find him in the places I least expect him. Railway stations, airports, my school, my home, and everywhere I don’t expect him to be.

Once I was walking down the high school ramp after school got over. I was thinking about what there was for tea. Ice-creams, cakes, or those greasy pakodas.  Instead of all this, I found my Dad with my Grandmother on the red bleachers, waiting for me, sitting and smiling, expecting me to give them a hug. I was shocked to see him. And even more shocked to see my old grandmother, smiling, showing her dentures. At first I was embarrassed. I mean, it was a normal school day and all my friends were there. Even they looked pretty shocked, but then I thought to myself, why I was embarrassed. I mean, I am studying in a boarding school and children here die to see their parents so why should I not be happy to my Dad and my Grandmother after so long? So I went to them and gave them a hug. I asked how they just decided to come to meet my sister and me. And the reply I got was, “We were missing you.” I found something I wasn’t looking for. And I was happy to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment